Sometimes just getting yourself onto your mat is the hardest part of your entire yoga practice. Daily life gives us so many reasons to opt out of taking care of ourselves and, for many of us, our practice is often the first thing to go.
I know for me, simply being reminded of just how good it is for me can be enough to get me moving. Of course, often that’s Sun Salutations in the middle of my living room with up to three little girls trying to crawl on or practice with me (I love when it the latter happens).
But even just that, a simple Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation) practice can make such a difference to our overall well-being. I thought sharing the following 5 benefits of Sun Salutations might just be the inspiration you need.
1. It is very effective in controlling hunger as repetitive bending and stretching massages internal digestive organs. Alternate stretching and compression of abdominal muscles cure problems like constipation and dyspepsia.
2. One of the best exercises to lose extra flab around the hips and waist. It is a proper workout for those who wish to lose extra pounds in a healthy manner.
3. Continuous sweating during this form of exercise guarantees younger looking skin. It detoxifies the entire body as it involves heavy and rhythmic breathing.
4. It helps regulate menstrual cycles and makes childbirth easier. It also helps combat insomnia and relaxes the mind completely. It even helps us improve our immune system, nervous system and memory and keeps anxiety at bay.
5. It is a complete body workout as it involves asanas, pranayamas, mantras and mudras
Sun Salutations have a number of other benefits, as well as times when some recommend you don’t practice (especially for the ladies). You can learn more at Pentagist.com.
Image Source: Dept of Energy Solar Decathlon