I love it when my job means I have to do things like meditate at my desk.
Insight timer has a whole slew of features which include:
- the sounds of Tibetan singing bowls,
- optional guided meditations,
- a meditation reminder bell,
- integration with social media accounts,
- the ability to communicate with, and friend, other people meditating around the world,
- the ability to find online and offline meditating communities,
- even statistics about your meditation practice!
I started with one ding of a Kangsê singing bowl, sat for 5 minutes (I am at work…), and finished with another lovely ding. When I looked down at my phone it said I had meditated with 327 other people around the world. Cool!
I then had the option to see who else had been meditating and even reach out to them if I wanted. Now, even if I never connect with anyone through the app (which is very easy to do), I really like the idea that I’m not meditating alone. There’s something about sitting with a group that enhances the concept that we’re all one and allows me to surrender a little more quickly.
FYI, there’s a free and a paid version. The free version can certainly get you by if you’re happy to skip any major customizations (e.g. larger choice of singing bowls sounds or the ability to choose how many dings you get when).
The following video is a quick overview of what the app can do. Try it out and let us know what you think :-)!
Image Source: Andy